Monday, December 21, 2009

"There should be a law, I thought. If you support a war, if you think it's worth the price, that's fine, but you have to put your own precious fluid on the line. You have to head for the front and hook up with an infantry unit and help spill the blood. And you have to bring along your wife, or your kids, or your lover. A law I thought (p.42)" This really touches me. I am anti-war. I believe no one should be forced to go fight for their country. For the people who have never served that talk about the war saying they support it. They have no right to say that they want the war unless they have felt what it's like to be soldier and fight in war. They don't know all the sacrifice and basically hell they are putting someone through. If they had fought I know they would not be wishing that upon anyone. No one should have to put their lives on the line. For the people that do choose to, I look up to you. I don't quite understand why someone would want to be a soldier, especially if you have a family back home. But I know that they are men out there that are honored to fight for the government.

Signing off,
Tim O' Brien

4 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with this that the people from the sidelines not fighting the war dont know anything about the war and cant say anything. The draft can be hard on people and can change people as they are going through the war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also agree with this. its always the people that have no idea what there supporting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree to a certain point. yes, if you are drafted, you might not understand, or even care about what your fighting for. All because your being forced to do something that you might not otherwise do. Now, if your in the military, voluntarily, you probably would feel and obligation to fight for you government and country, because they provided for you while in the military. but either way, I believe that its anyone’s duty to fight for their country when asked. for all you country has done for you, its the least you could do for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, people don't know what we've gone through, unless they fought in the war too. We have to leave our family and friends at home while we risk our lives fighting in the war.

    ReplyDelete