Monday, January 18, 2010

Kathleen

My beautiful daughter. My love, she means the world to me. Currently, I have been writing books. Mostly about Vietnam. I just had a friend committees suicide, and I have written the book "Speaking of Courage" at the suggestions of Norman. I haven't been on my blog for ages, so I just thought I should fill everybody in. I just wanted to tell you guys a story now about my daughter, Kathleen. She is nine now and she is going to Sherberry Elementary. The other day she asked me if I had ever killed anybody. She knows that I was in war before her and her mother met. I had no idea what to tell her. My innocent baby girl. I don't want her to ever think any different of me. She said, "You keep writing these war stories, so I guess you must've killed somebody." (pg.131) I just wanted to protect my baby. She is so young, I remember my first experience with death. It was her age. And it still bothers me. I don't want her to think that her father is a murderer. I hope that she asks me again when she is old enough to understand. I don't want her to think of me as a liar either. My baby girl was exactly correct. I write my books to get past these memories. To separate the memories. To get them off my chest. I love Kathleen and I hope to someday be able to tell her why I do what I do. And let her know of the pain I have been through.

No comments:

Post a Comment