Monday, January 18, 2010

Shit Field

(Kathleen)


Just recently, I brought Kathleen and it was her birthday present. I was talking in my last post about how someday when she was old enough I wanted to be able to let her know more about my experiences in war. Well I thought she was finally old enough to understand. I took her to the mausoleum in Ho Chi Minh, a few monuments, government offices, and orphanages. I think Kathleen has had a good time, although I think she is a bit puzzled. I h0pe she has learned more about me and my experience through our trip. On our trip I returned back to the site of my good friend, Kiowa's death. I was looking for answers. All the good men we lost in war Kiowa's death still bothers me to this day and I just wanted to pay my respects. It didn't look the same to me. It seemed so much different than what it looked like the night Kiowa sunk into the shit pond. The field was peaceful and quiet. I took a couple pictures. I brought Kiowa's moccasins and I dipped myself in roughly the spot we found Kiowa. I wedged his moccasins in the bottom of the mud with my feet. I think the experience has helped me let go of Kiowa's death. Getting rid of all the numbness I have experienced the last twenty years of my life. I just hope that Kathleen takes the trip, and she starts to understand. Kathleen, is my love.

1 comment:

  1. My stepdad was in Vietnam and I always hated him cause he was mean to me as a child, but when I saw your pictures it made me more in touch with why he was the way he was. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete